Monday, April 30, 2012

Airports, Early Evening Drinks, and Custard Tarts

There are many holidays in Italy, that the rest of the world doesn't celebrate including April 25th, which is Liberation day. There are all sorts of parades around the city, but what was great for me was that I got the day off! I skipped class on Thursday(sorry mom) for an extended weekend, and headed off to Faro, Portugal to meet my grandparents for 3 days and then spend the weekend with my Aunt in London. 
Faro is located in the south of Portugal in what is known as the Algarve region. I found out at the airport that Faro is the southernmost city in all of Portugal! Anyway, Faro was absolutely gorgeous! We visited the marina, the old town in Faro, walked along some wonderful beach boardwalks, and visited various golf clubs and hotels in the area (sampling the local cocktails, coffees, and luxurious sweet treats). A favorite of my grandparents, and to my diets dismay of mine as well, became a Portuguese specialty of custard tarts or in Portuguese "Pasteis de Nata". If you get a chance to go to Portugal, definitely give them a try, they are well worth it!  I tended to bring bad weather with me where ever I went all weekend, however the weekend was absolutely lovely. I really needed a relaxing break from school, and the Portuguese getaway was the perfect solution! 
custard tarts :)

Marina in Faro








View from Vilamoura

early evening drinks :)

I spent the weekend in London with my Aunt, which was filled with chatting, shopping,eating and exploring London's West End( One of hers and my favorite places). Again, the weather was a bit dreadful, but we did have some small spots of sunshine in between rain. It was too short of a visit, and it really made me anxious to go back to London for the summer. This trip to Rome, and being so far away from my comfort zone has really made me appreciate all that I have in the US and the undeniable comfort that family can offer. I know I will miss Rome a lot, but the efficiency, cleanliness, and ease of well just-about everything in London is definitely a plus! 



1 comment: