Monday, May 14, 2012

Reflections on Rome

I really cannot believe how quickly the time has gone by since my journey in Rome began in January. I am so fortunate to have experienced, seen, and lived in this amazing city! I feel as though I have just settled into my Italian life and now it is time to leave.
I have found myself looking around at my surroundings more, trying to take in all the city has to offer.  I wish I didn't look down so much when I walk, Rome truly is such a beautiful city.
I've probably said it before, but Rome is the most beautiful at night. All of the ancient monuments and piazzas are lit up with soft pale yellow street lights, there is still a nightlife atmosphere, but it is really nice to see the city without the noise of people. You become very spoiled living in Rome, because you constantly see historical artifacts, (some dating 2,500 years and older) everywhere you go. There really is SO much history here. I think it can be a little bit overwhelming, but over a long period of time you can really appreciate everything the city has to offer.
I am really going to miss the people in Italy more than anything else. Yes, I've had some bad( sometimes scary) encounters with strange people and my neighbors, but I feel like that could have been experienced in any city. The little old men are my favorite Italians. They are quintessentially dressed in their sweaters, and caps and you often see them walking around in the park, playing scopa with their friends outside of cafe's, or just sitting. They always smile and even though my conversational Italian is still very bad, they always try to make conversation. The phrase "allora" is also something I'm going to miss. It actually means "well" or "so", but people always say it before they begin their sentences. It seems like a strange thing to miss, but hearing it always makes me smile.
The food is a given, I've never eaten so well in my life, although my weight will definitely decrease with my upcoming departure from Italy. I understood that food was something that the Italians prided themselves in before I left the US, but I didn't realize how large a role it plays in their culture. Most conversations are about what and where the next meal will be, how did this dish compare to another, and where the best food is. I loved the food culture here, and I wish Americans could enjoy their food and mealtimes like the Italians do.
I have also learned so much about myself while I have been away. I have definitely become more independent, confident, and cultured. I never thought that I would be happy going to places on my own, but being abroad has really challenged and motivated me to do things by myself and experience things just "for me".I had the opportunity to travel to amazing places, and I've become a very efficient packer. It has also been a good lesson on budgeting money. The euro is worth more than the dollar, so everything has been a bit more expensive here, but I was able to see and do a lot on a budget, I just had to research more than usual.
I cannot wait to come back to the US, but I am so sad to leave Italy! It was difficult at first, and there were many inconveniences along the way, but I wouldn't trade this experience for the world. I don't know when I will ever have the opportunity to live in another country for an extended period of time and  Rome really gave me a wonderful experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment