Friday, March 9, 2012

70 degrees in early March? I'll take it!

The weather in Rome has been fantastic! No more rain and snow! To my friends in Boise, sorry (wishing you some warm weather from the other side of the world)! Well, in true California girl style, as soon as it was warm enough, I went to the beach! The beach near Rome is called Ostia. It is about a 30 minute train ride from central Rome, all for the amazing price of 1 euro! A large group of us packed some lunches, grabbed some reading material, and headed off for a day of sun Roman style. The beach was pretty clean, not too crowded, but to be honest I took a nap for the whole day, so I definitely enjoyed it, but wasn't really coherent for the day! We stayed to watch the sunset, which was gorgeous. There were boats gliding across the water in the distance. It reminded me of my days sailing on Callisto (my parents boat).
Some new friends at the beach!(look at those swimsuits)

Ostia Sunset

Women's Day

Women are really loved in Italy! So to celebrate, all of the museums had free admission for women! There was an exhibit that I have wanted to check out for a while, so it was the perfect opportunity to make my way to central Rome. My roommate and I made our way to the Musei Capitolini ( The Capitol Museum) and went exploring. The exhibit was called L'archivo Segreto Vaticano Riva, which translates into the secret archives of the Vatican revealed! As you can infer, if the Vatican is going to put items on display for the public, they weren't THAT secret, but they were extremely interesting. My favorite item was the dictation of the trial of Galileo Galilei. All of the documents were hand-written in the most beautiful calligraphy. My handwriting is absolutely atrocious compared to some of those papers! Of course, no trip to central Rome would be complete without gelato, so of course I had to walk to the Pantheon to my favorite gelateria! 
Rome is full of deals and campaigns to try to get people into museums and going to events. It is still amazing to me to stand on a roof-terrace and gaze upon the city. It never stops being beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment