Saturday, March 3, 2012

Food

Everything that you do in Italy takes time, there isn't a rush to eat, to go to work, to get around, etc. In the case of food however, this is a very good thing. A meal is not a time to be rushed, it is time to be surrounded with good people, good food, and good conversations. Lunches and dinners often last around 2-3 hours, which is so nice to experience in contrast to scarfing down a meal so one has time do be on to their next daily task. Eating a meal is not a burden or a mundane activity for sustenance in Italy, it is appreciated and cherished. Both cooking and eating have always been activities that I enjoy, so Italy has given me many opportunities to try and taste new and old dishes and then allowed for me to try and re-create those meals as home using the same fresh ingredients from the amazingly fresh and abundant open-air markets( not only is the quality better, but it is much cheaper to buy from the markets than the grocery store). Before I get into cooking, it is important to note that Italians do not do grocery shopping for the week or month like Americans do, but they shop daily for fresh ingredients for that days food, which you or myself 2 months ago may have thought was a waste of time, but part of the cooking experience comes from going to the market, seeing what is fresh that day, and deciding on the meal.
I have been very lucky and have taken some cooking classes while I have been in Italy. What surprised me most about cooking Italian food was how simple it is. Most people associate cooking with many steps, loads of ingredients, and complicated procedures, however in Italy it couldn't be more of the contrary. Every dish uses very simple ingredients, and is often cooked in a "rustic manner", you wont find a pizza in Italy with 10 different toppings like in the US, it just isn't done! The goal is to be able to identify and taste the freshness of each ingredient, if there are too many, it spoils the dish.
Not to make you all jealous, but I thought I would include some pictures of some of the dishes I have been eating in Italy :)




I've been collecting a recipe book, so if any one is interested, I will gladly forward the information :) I can't wait to come home and cook for my friends and family, and enjoy the tastes of Italy back in the US!

No comments:

Post a Comment